STUDY ABROAD IN AOTEAROA SUMMER 2015
This is an opportunity for undergraduate and graduate students to enroll in a summer school program with the Center for Pacific Island studies and IPLL and study abroad in Aotearoa.
The length of the course will be between 4 – 6 weeks, with a 4 week stay in Aotearoa.
The time of travel will be mid June – mid July.
We will be based in Hamilton at Waikato University, with a 4 day excursion to Te Wānanga o Awanuiarangi Indigenous University in Whakatane.
Activities for this course include (but not limited to):
– staying on a Marae (traditional Māori village)
– participating in Māori rituals and protocols
– participating in classes at Waikato University
– attending the He Manawa Whenua Indigenous research conference June 28 – July 1
– attending, participating and presenting at a symposium at Te Whare Wānanga o Awanuiarangi
– enjoying local scenery, culture and food
The syllabus is still forthcoming. But be prepared to learn simple Māori phrases and songs.
You will be required to speak and sing at some stage whilst in Aotearoa.
It will be winter, so be prepared for very cold weather 🙂