IP 261: Introduction to Persian Art, Culture,
History, and Literature
This course surveys briefly the history of Iranian civilization from 2500 years ago to the contemporary era. Moreover, it explores the cultural aspects of Iranian society. Also, it offers a brief study of Persian literature, including classical and modern literature, and art, such as painting, calligraphy, handicrafts, music, and architecture, as well as contribution to different branches of science.
The language of instruction is English.
Student Learning Objectives:
Upon successful completion of IP 261(Topics in IP Literature/Culture: Introduction to Persian Art, Culture, History, and Literature), the student should be able to:
- Know the Iranian civilization through the history of Iran from 2500 years ago to the present time.
- Enhance cultural understanding of the Persian language through the religion, traditions, ceremonies, and cuisine.
- Understand the differences between the classical and modern literature.
- Develop a sense of awareness of art, including painting, calligraphy, handicrafts, architecture, and music.
- Know about the Iranian scientists’ contributions to medicine, mathematics, chemistry, astronomy.