The University of Hawai‘i IPLL eJournal welcomes submissions of unsolicited manuscripts including articles, book reviews, essays, and comments, on current topics in Indo-Pacific language, literature and culture; and literary works focused on one or more of the following countries or geographic entities: Cambodia, Indonesia, New Zealand, Philippines, Samoa, Thailand, and Vietnam.
The Journal will give preference to submissions under 25,000 words in length including text and footnotes. The Journal will not publish articles exceeding 35,000 words except in extraordinary circumstances.
IP eJournal requires electronic submission. All manuscripts must be sent as an attachment to e-mail addressed to email@example.com, with
Subject: “eJournal Submission”
Microsoft Word format (.doc) is preferred.
Documents must be of generally publishable quality in English language grammar and usage, although selective use of foreign terms is permissible where appropriate. Literary works will require quality translation in English.
Submissions must reasonably comply with the latest edition of MLA and provide attribution for all sources, whether factual, primary- or secondary-sourced, outside the author’s own reasoning process.
All manuscripts must be unpublished. Authors of submissions nominated for publication will be required to e-mail electronic versions of all source materials to the Journal. Adobe PDF format is preferred.
When to Submit
IPLL eJournal accepts submissions on an ongoing basis. Submissions received by March 31 have priority consideration for fall publication. Submissions received by October 31 have priority for spring publication. IPLL eJournal queues submissions received after March 31 until the editorial staff resumes its activities in mid-August. Manuscripts selected for publication, but submitted after a priority filing date may be held for possible publication in a future issue.
IPLL eJournal carefully reviews and considers all submissions that it receives. Our selection process includes several stages. The process outlined below is representative.
- At least two editors initially review each submission.
- Our Publication Committee then votes on candidates for publication.
- IPLL eJournal will notify all submitters whether or not they have been selected for potential publication. As a matter of policy we do not discuss the reasons for our publication decisions.
- Authors invited to publish next execute a Publication Agreement with the journal. Authors will be asked to submit electronic versions of all source materials to the Journal.
- An editorial team is assigned to each article. The editorial team works with the author to prepare the submission for publication.